This delicious nutty, grainy salad is a wonderful accompaniment to many meals, and with barbecue season on the horizon it’s a great one to add to your repertoire.
You can swap the pearl barley out for another grain of your choice – for example buckwheat, wild rice, brown rice, quinoa – have fun experimenting!
And now that we have our two, new flavoured smoked tomatoes available, you can also decide which one you’d prefer to be the star of your salad.
For the salad:
1 cup pearl barley
½ butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into cubes
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
3 spring onions, sliced
½ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
150ml tub Beelane cold smoked tomatoes, roughly chopped (include the oil)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the dressing:
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tsp sugar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Place prepared butternut cubes into a roasting dish, season with salt and pepper and toss in 1-2 Tb olive oil. Roast for approx. 30 minutes, until tender. Cool.
- To cook the pearl barley, place in a medium saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes, or until barley is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain well and set aside to cool.
- Whisk or blend all the dressing ingredients together, taste for seasoning and adjust. (Note that it will be on the sharp side – this is tempered once mixed into the barley salad)
- Place all the salad ingredients into a medium-large bowl. Season lightly with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add enough dressing to moisten and mix lightly. Taste and adjust – add more dressing and seasoning to your taste if necessary. (It should be nicely moist without being soggy.)
- Pile into a serving dish and serve