Butter or olive oil, for greasing muffin trays
2 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon of WA Lake Deborah salt
1½ cups grated tasty cheese, plus 1/3 cup extra
½ cup Bee Lane cold smoked tomatoes, drained, finely chopped
½ cup thinly sliced basil
¼ cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
1 cup (250ml) milk
80g butter, melted
1 egg, lightly whisked
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
- Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl.
- Stir in cheese, tomatoes, basil and pine nuts (if using).
- In a jug combine milk, butter and egg, lightly whisk.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add milk mixture and mix slowly until just combined.
- Spoon mixture evenly into prepared muffin tray and sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until cooked (test with a skewer).
- Cool in tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- Can be served cold or warm.
- Can be frozen and used for a special occasion.
Our serving idea:
Why not try the muffins with our Garlic Herb Cold Smoked Tomato Butter?
Recipe created by Don Hancey WA Food Ambassador